The Educational system of British Columbia had its origin on this site. B.C.’s first public school, first high school and second college began here.
Under the direction of James Douglas of the Hudson’s Bay Company, a log cabin school, for boys only, was opened. Ten acres of land were set aside for a school site.
A brick, two-story building, designed by Teague (architect for City Hall) was erected. The girls were on the upper floor, and the boys were on the lower.
The first high school in B.C. was established in the log cabin.
An extension was added to the Central School to accommodate high school students.
A two-story addition was built onto the old building for Girls’ Central. By 1888, there were 730 students: 350 boys, 300 girls, and 80 high school students.
A separate, three-story high school was built facing Fernwood Road. This was the only school building that Rattenbury ever designed.
Victoria College, affiliated with McGill University, opened in the old High School building.
Victoria High School opened in its present location.
Central was established as a Junior High in the old building of Boys’ and Girls’ Central.
By now, all the old buildings were demolished and the new Central Junior High, designed by Wade & Stockdill, was opened.
Central instituted the quarter system.
Central became one of the first two schools in the Greater Victoria School District to reconfigure as a middle school. Under its new configuration it enrols students in grades 6 through 8.
In an effort to seismically upgrade the school, a rebuilding of most of it was begun. During this year long project the school was relocated to the empty building that was formerly Richmond elementary.
Central returned to its Fort street site and opened the year in its new and beautiful building.